Lincoln (23_249 R)
Day 150, 151, and 152 – 9/18/17, 9/19/17, and 9/20/17
Miles – 25.5
Total miles – 2346.1
We took our time getting up this morning because our plan was to hike twenty miles, camp, and then hike the last five miles into Lincoln tomorrow morning. Well things always change on the fly. Instead, of coming into town tomorrow, tonight was our goal. We hiked off to find the water and shelter under gray skies. The clouds were thick and looked ready to rain at any moment. A mile down the road, we reached the shelter where Red Cross and Napoleon were just getting out of their tent. We picked up several bottles of water that the gentleman had left for us and headed out. We left a thank you note in the cooler thanking the trail angel for his generosity. Eventually, we cut off the highway onto a dirt road. Still no rain. Every hour we hike without percepetation falling on us, is a blessing. Now we had 14.4 miles and one pass to get up to get closer to Lincoln. On the way up, we had a few very light showers, however, for the most of it, it stayed dry. Mama Raven’s heal (plantar fasciitis) has been extra bad the past few days. With every step, it felt like a knife stabbing into her heel. This trip has been extra hard for so many reasons for her. Mama Raven says she has been given a test of endurance to see how much she can take before she quits. We crossed the pass and started down toward town. Around 5:00, it started raining with only 5 miles to town. We were hoping it would wait until we hiked into town. Although, we should feel lucky it held off this long. Bling stopped under a large tree and we took a break to eat something and put on our down coats underneath our rain jackets. Finally, we pushed onto town, an hour and a half later. The first motel we came to was the only facility with a laundry, thus we got a room. The weather looks messy for the rest of the week. We will have to figure out what our plan will be to reach our next re-supply.
A zero for today in Lincoln. The weather was not bad. We saw the sun in the morning and it rained and snowed in the afternoon. We got our re-supply box and the extra food for the next section. Also, we picked up liners for our mittens. Our fingers have been very cold with the thin micro fiber mittens that Mama Raven made. Unfotunetly, the weather does not look great for the next few days. Infact, it looks down right miserable. Nothing we can do about it other than keep moving forward. We just have to get to Sunday and we should have more sunny days. We plan to hike out tomorrow afternoon, after the morning rain. Keeping an eye on weather reports is frustrating because it is constantly changing. One hour it says one way and next hour it is different. Thus, we really will not know until tomorrow when we will leave. However, we do know, we will be hiking the detour around the Alice Creek fire closure. Depite all the rain and snow, there is still closed trail due to fire. We will be taking the shortest path back to the trail we can. Nobody is exciting about the hiking conditions for the next few days because of the bad weather. Nonetheless, foward we go!
As we got ready for breakfast and hike out we saw that there weather for today was mostly rain. That did not sound good. We ate at the Lambkin. They have great french toast. As we were finishing someone walked up to our table. It was none other than Dundee. Has is a thru-hiker we one from the PCT. He has been behind us since he started. We had been hoping that he would catch up with us. He just got into town this morning and they are the other hikers that came in yesterday, AJ, Spam, and Hot Rod. We have not seen AJ since South Pass City back in Wyoming.
We do not like hiking in rain and we need to decide if we would hike out or not so I called Benchmark Ranch to see if they had a cabin for Friday or Saturday night. They had one for Saturday so that means we need to leave tomorrow. We settled back to enjoy a day of not hiking in the rain. Tomorrow should have little to no rain, Friday is our big problem, it is suppose to snow.